The Conservatoire de musique et d’art dramatique du Québec trains professional music and theatre artists. Its unique pedagogical approach revolves around close relationships between teachers and apprentices, in an approach inspired by the classic master-student model.
The Conservatoire de musique et d’art dramatique comprises nine institutions. For information on admission to the Conservatoire, consult the section of the institution you are interested in (in French only). The Conservatoire’s institutions are located in :
In dramatic arts,
the Conservatoire offers training equivalent to undergraduate programs, leading to careers in acting, set design, and costume design. We offer :
- instruction by actors, set designers, authors, and directors active in Québec theatre and respected by both the public and their peers
- a student-teacher ratio that favours learning
- performance experience throughout the program
Admission requirements for the Dramatic Arts program_
- a college diploma (DEC) or equivalent
age of least 21 years on September 1
- completion of the application form and submission before March 1 of :
— a photocopy of your college diploma
— a letter from the registrar of your educational institution confirming the imminent obtention of your diploma OR your most recent transcript with the indication Obtained
— a recent photograph
- payment of the non-refundable admission fee of $50, in the form of a certified cheque or money order made out to the order of the Conservatoire de musique et d’art dramatique du Québec
Admission is conditional on the results of an audition.
the Conservatoire offers training at the primary, secondary, college, and university levels ; tuition fees are applicable to university-level training. Young musicians are provided with personalized coaching, which allows them to truly explore and develop their art. We offer :
- preparation, starting at an early age, for a career in music
- instruction by respected professional musicians
- a student-teacher ratio that strongly favours learning
- course-based progression
- performance experience
- free accompanist service
Admission requirements for the Music program
Applications to the Conservatoire Music program must be received by the registrar of the Conservatoire institution in question no later than March 1. Applicants must use :
Applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable admission fee of $50, in the form of a certified cheque or money order made out to the order of the Conservatoire de musique et d’art dramatique du Québec.
Eligible applicants must audition before a jury, so that their instrumental or vocal level (preparatory, intermediate, university) can be evaluated. This evaluation of musical skills and theoretical knowledge is based on the following dimensions :
- level of repertoire performed
- success of the interpretation (respect for text and style, articulation, nuance, etc.)
- technical skill (tone, agility, breathing, etc.)
- behaviour during audition
Applicants must also pass a test of musical theory and training.
The audition requirements are uniform across all Conservatoire institutions. Useful information on audition repertoire and performance can be found under Admission et auditions sections of each establishement.